Happy Halloween, friends!
I’ve decided I really like this holiday. Not the whole scary part, but the fact that it draws on my creativity. For example, scrapping together some pipe cleaners, nail polish, tape, and an old shirt to make this Eleven Halloween costume.
Halloween brings out the creativity in all of us, and this recipe is no different! I smashed summer and fall together and came up with these mouth-watering tacos that are definitely a treat (no tricks here, folks).I wanted a fun way to enjoy more fish, and the leftover butternut squash in my fridge and Trader Joe’s Fall Harvest salsa in my fridge screamed tacos! Of course, I wanted to see if I could make this recipe Paleo perfect!
Let’s start with our batter! Coconut flour, egg whites, and coconut milk, along with some traditional Mexican seasonings, create a crepe-like batter that’s perfect for tortillas.Next, we’re on to our tilapia. After de-thawing, I cut up the fish in cubes, then breaded it in a beaten egg and some more of the spiced coconut flour mixture. This gives the fish a really flavorful coating.After you’ve made the tacos and fish, the rest is up to you! Pico de gallo, salsa, cilantro, avocado…any and all toppings are welcome. This is where that leftover butternut squash came to play. Just a quick toast in the pan to brown the squash adds a nice color and extra heartiness to these tacos.Tortilla. Tilapia. Butternut. Greens. Salsa. Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a winner!
I loved the sweetness of the butternut paired with the spices in the tilapia. Fresh and filling, I couldn’t be happier with this fall-inspired meal!
Paleo Butternut Squash & Tilapia Tacos
For the tortillas:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 egg whites
- 4-5 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- coconut oil, for frying
For the tilapia:
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless tilapia (or other white fish)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, cooked and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- pico de gallo
- Trader Joe’s Fall Harvest Salsa
- Dethaw tilapia and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together tortilla ingredients, adding coconut milk until the batter is thin and runny.
- Heat a pan on med-high and coat with coconut oil. Pour a small amount of batter and tilt pan until batter is spread thin. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side and repeat until batter is finished.
- Beat egg in a small bowl. Mix together coconut flour, salt, and spices in a separate bowl. Cut tilapia into 1/2 inch pieces and bread tilapia by dipping it in the egg mixture and then again in the coconut flour mixture. Repeat until all pieces are coated.
- In a medium pan, add coconut oil and heat on medium high. Add tilapia and gently fry until cooked through and coating is golden brown. After fish is cooked, remove and add butternut squash until golden brown.
- To assemble tacos, take tortillas and fill with fish, squash, and desired toppings. Serve immediately and enjoy!