It’s Friday night, which means pizza.
But it’s the Two Week Real Food Challenge, which means good-for-you pizza. Specifically, it means pizza with a sweet potato crust and a ton of great toppings. Do I have your attention?
Today’s recipe begins with a pizza dough made with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour, some Italian seasonings, and a few other ingredients. Adding the herbs helps to balance the sweetness of the sweet potato crust.
After sweet potatoes are microwaved and scooped out, they’re added to the dry ingredients. The result is an orange dough. Don’t judge it by its color—things are about to get a lot more interesting. Spread the dough on a pizza stone (or if you don’t have one, a baking sheet).
After 30 minutes, the crust is removed and we’re ready for our toppings! A mixture of tomato sauce and BBQ sauce give this pizza plenty of flavor (no cheese necessary!). Then we’ve got shredded rotisserie chicken, chopped spinach, and sauteéd red onions. If we’re going to make a healthy pizza, we might as well make it good!
Into the oven for another 10 minutes, and then it’s dinner time. For comparison, this was the brother my pizza had for dinner…
Safe to say, I think I won. So, what’s the verdict?
Healthy: The sweet potato crust eliminates the carb-heaviness from this recipe, while still making it substantial. The same goes for the toppings—plenty of flavor and nutrients without being over-indulgent.
Good: I love BBQ pizza, and seriously did not miss the cheese on this. Combining gluten free flour with the pizza dough gave this a substantial crust that I really loved!
Do-able: This crust doesn’t require any leavening, which makes it less time consuming than other homemade pizzas. I used pre-made rotisserie chicken, which also saved a lot of time!
Guilt Free BBQ Chicken Pizza
from The Soccer Mom Blog
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 cup pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 400°.
- Cook sweet potatoes in microwave until soft.
- Peel sweet potatoes and add to large mixing bowl with: 1 cup almond flour, 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar. (For an extra kick, add a pinch of chili powder.) Mash ingredients until well combined and the mixture takes on a doughy consistency.
- Use rubber spatula to spread on a Pizza Stone (you could also use a Silicon Baking Mat or greased baking sheet.)
- Cook dough at 400° for 30 minutes.
- While pizza dough is baking: shred 1 cup of pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, chop 1 cup spinach, and sauté one thinly sliced medium red onion until soft.
- One of the best things I’ve eaten in a LONG time– healthy or not! (But it IS healthy!) Gluten free, dairy free and packed with protein and veggies.
- Remove pizza dough from oven and spread 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup tomato sauce on top.
- Cover pizza with shredded rotisserie chicken, chopped spinach, and red onions. Drizzle with barbecue sauce.
- Return pizza to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!