I’m going to admit, the photos for this next recipe are not my best. You start out a two week challenge thinking that it’ll be a breeze…but making food is one thing—photographing, editing, and writing about it is another. With that being said, my primary goal of this recipe was to have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. I did accomplish my goal, even if it wasn’t super glamorous!
Since fall is right around the corner, I wanted to make a dinner featuring apples (my fave!) and chicken thighs (which are a super economical and delicious part of the chicken). This recipe is the result!
I started by preheating the oven and adding some coconut oil to my cast iron skillet. Then I layered the chicken into the pan when it was hot, letting them brown for a bit. After that, I added sliced apples and let it cook for 3-5 more minutes.
After the chicken and apples began to brown, I put it in the oven for 10 minutes, flipped the chicken, and returned it for another 10-15 minutes. While this was happening, I used my all-time favorite cheat for veggies: steam-able frozens. Frozen veggies keep their nutrients better than canned, and they are THE EASIEST thing to prepare. Some, like this one, come seasoned already, but you can always add other things after they’re cooked!
Final step: making the apple jus. I wanted to add a little sweetness to the chicken, after I took everything out of the pan, I simmered apple cider and a little red wine vinegar in the cast iron skillet to make a sauce for the chicken.
This was taken in haste before digging in. Sometimes life is as simple as really good, tender chicken and some simple seasoned veggies!
Sorry this blog post wasn’t “pretty”…but hey, it was realistic! It’s also…
Healthy: The apple jus is a super easy way to give your chicken some flavor the all-natural way! No need for heavy creams or sauces here.
Good: Chicken thighs are super tender when baked, and the jus added extra moisture. I loved the sweetness from the apples, too.
Do-able: Dinner in under 30 minutes? Yes, please.
Skillet Chicken Thighs with Apple Jus and Steamed Vegetables
- one pound chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium-sized apple (I used Fuji)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 bag steamed fresh frozen vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Heat the coconut oil in a cast iron skillet until hot. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper and cut apple into 1/8 inch slices.
- Add chicken thighs, layering them so the skin makes full contact with the pan. Cook until slightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add apples to pan, without disturbing the chicken thighs. Allow to cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Place hot skillet in oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the pan and flip the chicken thighs, then return to oven for 10-15 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. While the pan is in the oven, prepare steamed vegetables according to microwave instructions.
- When chicken is cooked, remove apples and chicken and place on platter. Add red wine vinegar and apple cider to pan and simmer for 5 minutes on medium high until sauce thickens.
- Drizzle jus on chicken and apples and serve immediately with the steamed vegetables.