It’s FRIDAY! To be honest, I cannot WAIT for the weekend. This past week has been so crazy that I’m completely out of sorts. Is it weird that I actually look forward to things like catching up on laundry and making my own cashew milk? Maybe. We’re rolling with it.
- Dairy can be a big source of digestive issues for a lot of people. I noticed that I had a slight dairy intolerance when I cut it for pageant-training and noticed that I’d get WAY bloated any time I had too much. I still have cheese now and again, but I’ve replaced most of my drink-able dairy with nut milks.
- Cashew milk saves you a BUNCH of calories compared to dairy, so you can use it in coffee, oatmeal, baking, etc. or just drink it from the glass, worry-free!
- Homemade things just taste better. Maybe it’s the pride of knowing that it’s one less thing you have to pick up at the grocery store…
We start with cashews, obviously. You can either let these soak for a few hours (overnight is easiest) or you can boil them for about 10-20 minutes. I’m obviously an impatient person, so I opted for the latter.
After boiling and rinsing the cashews, add them to your blender with a cup of water. This first blend guarantees that all the cashews are completely blended and creamy. (PS—Ninja blenders are bomb. This was totally liquified in 30 seconds flat!) After that, add the rest of the water, some vanilla, and a little maple syrup for sweetness.
The end product: creamy, slightly sweet, and ready to use! I actually loved this so much that I ended up drinking some straight out of a glass, but I can’t wait to use it in my oatmeal tomorrow. For now, it’s stored next to it’s dairy-filled counterpart…and I’m not even mad.
All in all, I’m super happy with my first nut-milk-making experience! It’s…
Healthy: like I mentioned before, dairy-free milk is THE BEST. No bloating here!
Good: The vanilla and maple syrup really make this milk a treat, and the cashews blend up super-creamy!
Do-able: Again, three ingredients and a blender were all we needed for today’s recipe. It’s a win-win.
I’m pumped to keep making this recipe at home, and I hope you enjoy it too!
DIY Vanilla Cashew Milk (paleo, vegan, gf)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 4 cups water (plus more for soaking/boiling)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup/agave
- Prepare cashews by either boiling or soaking them. To soak the cashews: Put the cashews in a bowl, and cover them with water. Let soak for 3-8 hours. To boil the cashews: Cover the cashews with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and boil for about 10-20 minutes until the cashews are very tender.
- Drain and rinse the cashews, then add them to your blender. Add only 1 cup of water and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of water, vanilla extract, and sweetener if using, and blend to incorporate.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge, and shake or stir well every time before using for up to one week.