Good morning, friends!
Sometimes we make choices. Choices like going out and consuming three baskets of chips and salsa, or an unconquerable cookie craving that can only be satiated by consuming warm break-and-bakes straight out of the oven. Some people might call these “mistakes”…but I’m sticking with choices. We make ’em! We live with ’em.
The morning after some of those choices is not super fun. Since I’ve eliminated a large amount of gluten, dairy, and sugar from my life, overloading on those things can cause some MAJOR issues. I’m talking tummy-hangover issues. No bueno. One thing that never fails to help me come around again is a good, green smoothie. It’s good for the tummy and the mind, and is the perfect way to reboot your digestive system.Other names for this smoothie include Food Hangover Smoothie, The Morning After Smoothie, and I’m Sorry For What I Did When I Was Hungry Smoothie.Let’s talk about what makes this smoothie so stellar at helping your body get back on track. We’ve got some good stuff going on here…
- Spinach and baby kale: these leafy greens are packed with nutrients and are a great base for any green smoothie.
- Cucumber: this veggie is perfect for beating any food-coma bloat you might have going on.
- Bananas: the potassium in bananas is great for relieving bloating and helping to regulate digestion.
- Strawberries: a great source of antioxidants and fiber, and it adds just the right amount of sweetness!
- Green apples: fiber = digestive health.
- Chia seeds: because who doesn’t need an omega boost in the morning?
- Coconut milk (or water): a dairy-free way to add creaminess to your smoothie, with plenty of vitamins to boot!
This smoothie has just the right amount of sweetness from the fruit, without causing a sugar spike so early in the AM. The greens will keep you good and filled, and you can walk out the door with this feel-good breakfast in just minutes. Now THAT’S a choice to feel good about.
Make-Amends Smoothie (paleo, vegan, gf)
makes 1 smoothie
- 1 1/2 cups spinach and/or baby kale, washed
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 small green apple, diced
- 1/2 frozen banana (if you don’t have a frozen banana, use fresh and add a little ice)
- 1/4 cup strawberries
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or water
Place all ingredients in blender and blend well. Serve immediately or place in an insulated cup for the perfect grab-and-go breakfast!