In the midst of a very crazy few days, it’s time for installment #2 of Strawberry Week! In case you didn’t catch what “Strawberry Week” was… A. I picked a lot of strawberries. B. I needed a way to use said strawberries. C. I have all the time in the world to devote to berry-related ventures. My first recipe was for Strawberry Chia Seed Jam, which I had on a waffle this morning with almond butter (delish!), but today I’m bringing you a favorite recipe of mine with a little strawberry makeover: banana bread!
While I was training for Miss Tennessee, the one thing I craved that wasn’t on my diet was bananas. Not pizza, not doughnuts. Bananas. Now that I’ve got a little more freedom, I’m a woman obsessed! Maybe my potassium levels are low or something, but they’re my go to snack. When I found this recipe for Paleo Banana Bread I knew I was onto something good. A few tweaks, and I was left with this delicious way to use seasonal fruit!
The base of this bread is simple: ripe mashed bananas, almond butter, and coconut flour! Coconut flour is a great source of fiber and is a staple in the standard Paleo pantry, and the other two are just a few of my favorite things. A few other ingredients help bring this quick bread together, but you don’t need any additional sweetener—the bananas and berries are enough for this bread!
This is where things get exciting! We’re folding in crushed pecans for crunch and strawberries for their sweetness and color. Just a gentle fold will do, and then we’re into a parchment-paper lined pan for 40 minutes!Because this bread is missing traditional flour, it’s going to be more dense than your regular bread and is a little more prone to falling apart. Parchment paper is always a good idea—just lift out of the pan, cool, slice, and enjoy!This bread tastes like summer done right. It’s got the right amount of spice and sweetness that a good banana bread requires, with a hint of unexpected flavor from the strawberries. Best served in generous slices with a tall cup of coffee.
Paleo Strawberry Banana Bread (paleo, gf)
adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup crushed pecans, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper, then coat generously with non-stick baking spray.
- In an electric mixer, mix bananas, almond butter, and vanilla and almond extracts until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix on medium speed until incorporated. Gradually add coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in sliced strawberries and crushed pecans, then pour mixture into loaf pan. Top with additional strawberries and pecans.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then lift from loaf pan and cool on a wire rack completely.