I did a thing, and it was glorious.I started with my favorite thing, breakfast, then I added a few more favorite things, like sweet potatoes, eggs, and cheese, and then I put it all in a cast iron skillet and declared it good. This recipe surpassed my (already very high) expectations, which means that it definitely should make an appearance at your next breakfast or brunch.
Let’s get started!If you’ve been following this blog for any period of time, you know I have a thing for sweet potatoes. I’ve made them in pretty much every variety, including chips! These aren’t going to be as crunchy as a normal chip, which is okay because we’re basically burying them in a pile of breakfast goodness. Slice, coat with olive oil, and bake these guys!
While the chips are baking, you’ll begin to assemble your other ingredients: an egg and veggie scramble, bacon (of the turkey variety), black beans, salsa, avocado, and cheese. We then begin a layering process that is truly a work of beauty.Into the oven again for just a few minutes, giving time for the cheese to melt and all the ingredients to settle.Andddddd…bliss.
These nachos are out of this world with flavor. The sweet potatoes add a little bit of sweetness to what is otherwise a totally savory breakfast. Plus, like most of my recipes, this is completely customizable to your favorite breakfast fixings—sausage, different egg styles, etc. Regardless, this is best enjoyed fresh out of the oven and with people you love!
Sweet Potato Breakfast Nachos (gf)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch salt
- 6 eggs (I used 2 whole eggs and four egg whites)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 strips turkey bacon (feel free to substitute for other breakfast meat!)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 jar salsa
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/8 inch thick rounds. In a small bowl, toss slices with olive oil and salt. Layer individually on foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, dice bell pepper and onion. Sauté in a pan with a little olive oil until tender, then add eggs and scramble. Set aside.
- Fry turkey bacon until cooked, and set aside.
- Dice avocado and set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are done, remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes. In a cast iron skillet, layer sweet potatoes, followed by egg scramble, crumbled bacon, black beans, salsa, avocado, and cheese.
- Return to a 375F oven and bake for 7-10 minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown. Serve immediately.