I’m not even going to say that I made a resolution to post more on my blog, but I made a resolution to post more on my blog. To be honest, forced writing is a little hard for me. If I’m feeling super excited about sorority life and Taylor Swift? No problem. Maybe a little stoked about a new book? The words flow. But try and back me into a corner and make me write about something and I’ll sit there until I’m through three cups of coffee and two words on the page.
To offset this as well as some of my unsuccessful attempts to write more (last year I came up with 52 resolutions and managed to finish about 15 of them) I’m going to introduce something I’ve seen some of my favorite bloggers do: a quick little update of things in their world, no more, no less. And so I give to you, with much circumstance and pomp, the Friday Five. That’s it. Five little things for me to write, five little things for you to read as you enjoy your afternoon hot chocolate and get ready to settle into the weekend. Sound good?
1. Yesterday we took our Christmas tree down, leaving me feeling très déprimé. Hopefully you all had a wonderful Christmas though, and maybe got to enjoy some bright and shiny new toys! I’ve fallen in love with my new Fitbit Charge. Even though I’ve only hit the gym once since the holidays (I know, I know, I’m saving that til I get back to college), the little band is actually more helpful than you might imagine. It vibrates whenever I’m getting a call (another reason not to be stuck on my phone!) and it also has a silent alarm feature which has helped me get up every day without flinging my phone to the floor. Pretty neat!
2. As a Christmas present to myself, I ordered the Humans of New York book for Christmas. It’s absolutely beautiful. If you haven’t heard of HONY, it’s a blog run by photographer Brandon Stanton, and it captures the stories of thousands of people in the most beautiful way. Definitely check it out if you’re looking to get a little perspective.
3. If one of your New Year’s resolutions was to be more informed of current events, I’d suggest following @NYTNow on Twitter or downloading their app. It’s as if you’re Obama himself, being briefed with the top news stories from around the world. Definitely a good source of information for somebody on the go.
4. Speaking of current events, can we just talk about how these fellow Belmont students are literally blowing up the Internet with their cover of “Blank Space” and Style? Could not be more proud of Louisa and Devin for this awesome mashup that’s got TSwift herself “obsessed.”
5. This might sound silly, but this year, I decided to adopt a Bible verse. My last post talked about how last year was a big one in learning to be humble and turning my heart towards God. But I’m a big believer that this year is a year of restoration. So I’ve decided to hold in my heart Zechariah 9:12: “Return to your stronghold, O prisoners of hope; today I declare that I will restore to you double.” Maybe you want to adopt a verse of your own?